It’s the start of a new year! 2016! New Years gives us the opportunity to look back on our lives –review our accomplishments, challenges and gives a chance to revaluate where we would like to be in the future. Setting goals is an important part of this process. Setting goals helps us to stay focused, get things done and keeps us moving forward. However it’s also important to not get lost in our goal-oriented life. If we are constantly telling ourselves that only when we accomplish our goals then we will feel satisfied or happy, we will start to feel like what we have isn’t enough. This can make us feel uneasy as well as take away from how we are feeling and what we are doing in the present moment.
So how can we find some balance? Set intentions as well as goals. Intentions help you to focus on how you want to be in the present moment, despite where you stand with your goals. When you allow yourself to be guided by your intentions, you are able to live by your values. Intentions are the internal relationships that you have with yourself and with others. They help us appreciate the journey of getting to our desired destinations. So this year as you set your New Years Resolutions think about incorporating intentions too.
Here are 10 clear intentions to consider, as you move toward your goals and dreams:
- I intend to manifest happiness naturally.
- I intend to respond first, and then react.
- I intend to witness Divinity in everyone.
- I intend to lead by example.
- I intend to be open to success and abundance.
- I intend to stop taking things personally.
- I intend to forgive others, and myself.
- I intend to love unconditionally.
- I intend to make meditation a more important part of my lifestyle.
- I intend to make someone smile every day.
Written by Kelly DiBenedetto, LMHC
Boston Post Adoption Resources